Mandarin transcript (in pinyin and characters) for Peppa Pig S01E51 “Daddy’s Movie Camera” Part 4:
- nǐhǎo, wǒ shì pèiqí
- zàilái, zàilái
- wǒmen gāi pāi yìdiǎnr xīn dōngxi le
- wǒ zhīdào, nǐ xiān líkāi zhè fángjiān
- wǒmen huì pāi duàn yǐngpiàn gěi nǐ kàn
- xiān chūqù ma
- zhū bàba zài chúfáng lǐ děng deshíhòu, zhū māma、 pèiqí hé qiáozhì zhèngzài pāishè yǐngpiàn
- bùxǔ tōukàn ò, zhū bàba
- wǒmen sāngè dōu děi chūjìng
- qiáozhì, nǐ xiǎng dìyī gè lái ma
Show Notes for Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig Season 01 Episode 51 Part 4
nǐhǎo, wǒ shì pèiqí
Hello, I am Peppa.
- 你好 = nǐhǎo, hello
- 我 = wǒ, I
- 是 = shì, am/is/are
- 佩奇 = pèiqí, Peppa Pig
- 再 = zài, again
- 来 = lái, come
- Together, 再来 is a colloquial expression to urge somebody to repeat something that was just done. For example, after you repeat after the video, I’d encourage you by saying 再来一遍 = zàilái yībiàn, do it one more time.
wǒmen gāi pāi yìdiǎnr xīn dōngxi le
我们 该 拍 一点儿 新 东西 了
We should videotape something new.
- 我们 = wǒmen, we.
- 该 = gāi, should. A colloquial form of 应该 = yīnggāi. Contrast this with 得 = děi which also means should but 得 usually implies reluctance. Refer to S01E03 Part 4 or S01E51 Part 2.
- 拍 = pāi, shoot (videos), or take photos: 拍照片 = pāi zhàopiàn
- 一点 = yìdiǎn, a little bit. 一 can be omitted here.
- 新（的） = xīn (de), new, 的 is often omitted
- 东西 = dōngxi, thing.
- 了 = le, indicate something should happen soon. For example, 我们该吃饭了 = wǒmen gāi chīfànle, we should eat soon.
wǒ zhīdào, nǐ xiān líkāi zhè fángjiān
我 知道，你 先 离开 这 房间
I know, first you leave the room.
- 知道 = zhīdào, know
- 你 = nǐ, you
- 先 = xiān, first. In this context, Mommy Pig is asking Daddy Pig to leave the room first without explicitly saying “should”. 你先 or just 先 is a common way to urge somebody to do something as a prerequisite for something else to happen.
- 离开 = líkāi, leave
- 这 = zhè, this
- 房间 = fángjiān, room
wǒmen huì pāi duàn yǐngpiàn gěi nǐ kàn
我们 会 拍 段 影片 给 你 看
We will shoot a video to show you.
- 会 = huì, will
- 段 = duàn, the measurement word for a short clip of video. Often 段 means only a portion of a full video. 一 is omitted from 一段.
- 影片 = yǐngpiàn, a movie clip
- 给 + person + 看 = to show something to the person. 我给你看看这个 = wǒ gěi nǐ kàn kàn zhège, can be used to express “Let me show you something” in a casual way.
xiān chūqù ma
先 出去 嘛
First you get out
- 出去 = chūqù, to get out or go out
- 嘛 = ma, it softens the imperative. 先出去 by itself could sound pretty serious, imagine while your parents are fighting, they ask you to get out of the room.
zhū bàba zài chúfáng lǐ děng deshíhòu
猪爸爸 在 厨房 里 等 的时候
While Daddy Pig is waiting in the Kitchen
- 猪爸爸 = zhū bàba, Daddy Pig
- 厨房 = chúfáng, kitchen
里 = lǐ, inside
- Person + 在 + verb + 的时候 = , while somebody is doing something
- This would be an unremarkable sentence for any native Chinese speaker, but it may not be obvious why the words are put together this way. Compare the following three sentences, all are valid:
- 猪爸爸在等的时候 = while Daddy Pig is waiting
- 猪爸爸在厨房里的时候 = while Daddy Pig is in the kitchen
- 猪爸爸在厨房里等的时候 = while Daddy Pig is waiting in the kitchen
- 在 often can indicate location, such as in 我在家 = wǒ zàijiā, I’m home. However, in (1), even if you don’t specify a location, you still need 在 to describe the activity is currently happening. 厨房里 in both (2) and (3) describes the location. As you can see in (2), you can also use a location alone.
zhū māma、 pèiqí hé qiáozhì zhèngzài pāishè yǐngpiàn
猪妈妈、佩奇 和 乔治 正在 拍摄 影片
Mommy Pig, Peppa and George are shooting a video.
- 猪妈妈 = zhū māma, Mommy Pig
- 和 = hé, and
- 乔治 = qiáozhì, George Pig
- 正在 = zhèngzài, currently
- 拍摄 = pāishè, to videotape (a pretty formal sounding expression)
bùxǔ tōukàn ò, zhū bàba
不许 偷看 哦，猪爸爸
Don’t peek, Daddy Pig
- 不许 + verb = bùxǔ, not allowed to do something, used before a verb
- 偷 = tōu, to steal
- 看 = kàn, to see
- 偷看 = tōukàn, to peek
- 哦 = o, also softens the expression.
wǒmen sāngè dōu děi chū jìng
我们 三个 都 得 出镜
All of us three should appear in the video.
- 三 = sān, three
- 个 = gè, the measure word for a person
- 都 = dōu, all
- 得 = děi, should, often reluctantly. In this context the reluctance isn’t strong. It’s kinda like saying regardless if you want or not, you gotta appear in this video.
- 出镜 = chū jìng, to appear in a video
qiáozhì, nǐ xiǎng dìyī gè lái ma
乔治，你 想 第一个 来 吗
George, do you want to be the first?
- 想 = xiǎng, want to
- 第一 = dìyī, first
- 来 = lái, usually means “come” but it can often be used to represent “to do something” without explicitly stating the activity. It’s the same meaning as the 来 in 再来. You can say “你来” if you want to ask somebody to try something when the context is clear.
- 吗 = ma, it turns a statement into a question