Congratulations on starting your journey here at Kong Long Mandarin. Don’t forget to REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. There is no better way to improve your Mandarin listening and speaking skills. Enjoy the show!
Mandarin transcript (in pinyin and characters) for Peppa Pig S01E03 “Best Friend” Part 1:
- zuìhǎo de péngyou
- pèiqí zài děng tā zuìhǎo de péngyou xiǎoyáng sūxī.
- nǐhǎo ā, sūxī. nǐhǎo ā, pèiqí.
- xiǎoyáng sūxī lái zhǎo pèiqí wánr le.
- pèiqí xǐhuan sūxī. sūxī yě xǐhuan pèiqí.
- tāmen shì zuìhǎo de péngyou.
- pèiqí, nǐ wèishénme bùhé sūxī qù nǐde wòshì wánr?
- hǎo de, māma.
- qiáozhì yě xiǎng yìqǐ wánr.
Show Notes for Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig Season 01 Episode 03 Part 1
zuìhǎo de péngyǒu
最好 的 朋友
- 最好的 = zuìhǎo de, means Best. Commonly used to describe a person, like the best teacher, the best friend, etc. 最 = zuì, means most. 的 = de, a light sound, often indicates the word is an adjective.
- 朋友 = péngyǒu, means Friends. The you sound is light even though in official pinyin, it’s yǒu. In Chinese there is no distinction between single and plural nouns. While you’re learning Chinese, you’ll make new friends, so remember this word!
pèiqí zài děng tā zuìhǎo de péngyou xiǎoyáng sūxī.
佩奇 在 等 她 最好的 朋友 小羊 苏西。
Peppa is waiting for her best friend Suzy Sheep.
- 佩奇 = pèiqí, the Chinese name of our protagonist Peppa Pig.
- 苏西 = sūxī, the Chinese name of Suzy Sheep.
- 小羊 = xiǎoyáng lamb or sheep. 小 xiǎo means small or litte. 羊 = yáng, refers to sheep or goat which use the same word in Chinese.
- 她 = tā, she. In Chinese, Ta could refer to either gender. There is no difference in the sound. 她的 = tāde, means her or hers. However in this case, 她最好的朋友 = tā zuì hǎo de péngyǒu means her best friend, 的 following 她 is omitted.
- 在 = zài, doing something
- 等 = děng, to wait. 在等 means waiting.
nǐhǎo ā, sūxī. nǐhǎo ā, pèiqí.
Hello, Suzy. Hello, Peppa.
- 你 = nǐ, you.
- 好 = hǎo, good.
- If you are interested in learning Chinese, you’ve probably learned 你好 which means Hello. With the “a” sound in the end, the expression sounds more casual.
xiǎoyáng sūxī lái zhǎo pèiqí wánr le.
小羊 苏西 来 找 佩奇 玩儿 了
Lamb Suzy has come to play with Peppa.
- 来 = lái, to come.
- 找 = zhǎo, to look for or find.
- 玩 = wánr, to play. Usually pronounced with Er at the end, read about how to use er-coloring in my focused article.
- 了 = le, indicates something has already happened.
- A来找B do something, common expression to say Person A has come to find person B for doing something.
pèiqí xǐhuan sūxī. sūxī yě xǐhuan pèiqí.
佩奇 喜欢 苏西， 苏西 也 喜欢佩奇
Peppa likes Suzy. Suzy likes Peppa, too.
- 喜欢 = xǐhuan, to like. Super commonly used word. You can like pretty much anything. In official Chinese pinyin, 欢 has the first tone, but the huan sound is light.
- 也 = yě, also, too.
tāmen shì zuìhǎo de péngyou.
她们 是 最好的 朋友
They are best friends.
- 她们 = tāmen, they. In official Chinese pinyin, the 们 sound is light.
- 是 = shì, is/are/am. Generally means affirmative.
pèiqí, nǐ wèishénme bù hé sūxī qù nǐde wòshì wánr?
佩奇，你 为什么 不 和苏西 去 你的卧室 玩儿？
Peppa, why don’t you go to your bedroom with Suzy?
- 你的 = nǐde, yours. Sometimes you can omit the 的.
- 为什么= wèishénme, why. At two or three years-old, your toddler would be repeating this word.
- 不 = bù, no.
- 为什么不 = wèishénme bù, Why don’t… Check out my detailed explanation of 为什么 in an article.
- 和 = hé, together with.
- 去 = qù, to go.
- 卧室 = wòshì, bedroom.
hǎo de, māma.
Sounds good, mom.
- 好的 = hǎo de, sounds good
- 妈妈 = māma, mom
qiáozhì yě xiǎng yìqǐ wánr.
乔治 也 想 一起 玩儿。
George wants to play (with them) too.
- 乔治 = qiáozhì, the Chinese name of Peppa Pig’s brother George Pig.
- 想 = xiǎng, to want. Also means to think. Check out my article discussing 想 vs 要 vs 想要.
- 一起 = yìqǐ, together. Here, the sentence implies that George wants to play together with them even though the sentence doesn’t make a reference to them. The full sentence could be 乔治想和她们一起玩 = qiáozhì xiǎng hé tāmen yīqǐ wán.
19 thoughts on “Learn Mandarin: Peppa Pig S01E03 Part 1”
This is extremely helpful, thanks for the effort, you’re amazing!!!!
Thanks for visiting and enjoy the resource!
Thank you for this. I am enjoying the site and the videos. Really helpful to be familiarized myself with the language I am learning.
Awesome to hear!
Wow, thank you for creating this an amazing site!
I was scrolling through the internet to look for advice to best teach mandarin to my 5yo and came across your page. He takes a weekly one to one online class with an instructor but I feel that he needs reinforcements for the other 6 days.
I have bookmarked it and plan to use it with my son daily! It’s apparent that you have put in a lot of effort into this. Thank you!!
Best of luck! My daugther has really expanded her vocabulary and improved her speaking skills through watching the show. Hopefully it’ll work the magic on your kid too.
Thank you for this amazing resource. I’m an absolute beginner trying to aquire Chinese like a child. This seems perfect.
One note though. In your recordings you speak very fast, even faster than the children in the video. I think it would make more sense for the recordings to be slower than the video, such that they are easier to understand and not harder.
谢谢你！我2020年开始学习中文。I wish I would have found this site then. I am sure there are still many holes in my learning foundation. So, it’s good that I found your site now. 谢谢！
So glad you found your way here. Enjoy!
This is awesome, I love this format thanks a lot!
Glad to hear!
I like this! Thank you so much! It’s useful to learn
i thought this was forever gone. This is absolutely amazing and can’t wait to see how far I can get in the next few months using this site 🙂
Glad you found your way back here! Let me know if you have any questions.
Woww, you’re back. Thank you so much for keeping this good work and wonderful resources for us.
Thank you for coming back!!! More content will come soon. 🙂
I just want to say that I’m glad you’re back! I kept looking on the old website just sad about the announcement and farewell. Somehow I was able to find your new site here and I’m so excited to continue learning from you. You’ve inspired and helped so many students with invaluable resources 🙂
Wow, this is absolutely amazing~!